Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lately

Now with some elaboration!

Hearing: Lupe Fiasco, Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor; Cheap Trick, Rockford; Eletrelane, Singles, B-Sides & Live. (Three newish albums that are all excellent.)

Watching: Lost (I should've put this "on notice." That's all I'm saying for now.)

Studio 60 on Sunset Strip (I mostly like it so far for the witty, fast-pacedness, and for Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford playing "darkly neurotic." Anytime it tries to be wistful or romantic I kinda hate it. There are also some jazz-hands tendencies lurking that I don't approve of.)

The Wire (Like Arrested Development did for comedy, this show makes every other drama on TV just not good enough in comparison.)

Reading: Clockers by Richard Price (More of The Wire's influence on my life. Awesome stuff.)

Remembering: My first purchases at Tower Records. In 1988, at the New York location, my Aunt Mary bought Past Masters, Vols. 1 & 2 by The Fab Four, dubbed them for me, and held onto them 'till I got my first CD player -- which would happen about 3 years later. Then, in '95, on South St., I scored The Kinks' UK version of To The Bone (which I didn't even know existed before then) and The Replacements' Pleased to Meet Me.

As reported elsewhere (here and here), Tower's going-out-of-business sale has been bullshit so far. While it's not fun to see people lose their jobs en masse, the chain's been obsolete for years, and recent events serve only as a reminder why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home