Friday, August 05, 2005

Perfect Pop

12. “Always Crashing in the Same Car,” David Bowie (1977)

I’ve been doing these perfect pop things for almost a year and hadn’t included any Bowie yet. The hell?

I’ve always been enthralled by that nagging keyboard line underneath DB’s vocal. Doo doo-doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo. It sounds like something out of a ‘50s doo-wop song, yet fits in perfectly in this alienated bit of space rock. Also, that same little lick can be heard in the semi-obscure mid-period Kinks song “Demolition,” a song that otherwise has just about nothing in common with “Always Crashing in the Same Car” but the two are nevertheless forever conjoined in my mind.

This song concludes with one of my favorite guitar solos, courtesy of one Rickey Gardner. The history of George Harrison collapsed into a few bars, the gently weeping guitar stranded in postwar Europe, flanged and desperate.

The lyrics.

4 Comments:

Blogger frankenslade said...

I forgot all about that song. I remember liking that one. I'll have to see if I own the album it's on.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

It's on Low. If I remember correctly you're a little ambivalent 'bout that one;)

4:01 PM  
Blogger frankenslade said...

Yes, but that is one of the songs I liked - that and "Sound and Vision", I think it's called.

12:24 PM  
Blogger japanesegodjesusrobot said...

Low is my favorite Bowie album. I definitely suggest that you revisit it, Jim, as the 1st side of it is some of the best music of the entire '70s IMO. "Always Crashing in the Same Car" and "Sound and Vision" are great, but my favorite track on it is "Be My Wife" with "What in the World" coming in at a close second.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home