Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ten Best

Besides The Beatles, The Kinks had a more profound influence on my formative years than any other band, and I know that’s kinda messed up.

1. “Waterloo Sunset”: It used to amaze me that I was the only person I knew who knew and loved this song. I’m glad I’ve gotten out more since then.

2. “Get Back in Line”: Oh boy, did I listen to this a lot during my job-angst sessions in college!

3. “Big Sky”: See above.

4. “Victoria”: Growing up, I thought this sounded like more fun than I could even imagine, Dave Davies’ yelping in the background alone! What odd lyrics too for such a rocking track.

5. “Autumn Almanac”: Perfectly captures the sound of falling leaves, sinking temperatures, short days, whether you grew up in London or Hatboro.

6. “All of My Friends Were There”: The weirdest mundane song ever, or the most mundane weird song ever.

7. “Oklahoma U.S.A.”: So delicate, I’m still a little shocked this song actually even exists.

8. “A Rock ‘n’ Roll Fantasy”: In the latter years of The Kinks, Ray Davies tried to given arena-rock the same depth as the Britpop he invented. Here’s one time he actually succeeded.

9. “Hot Potatoes”: I love Ray/Dave duets. Also I love potatoes.

10. “Sweet Lady Genevieve”: The best song from the weird mid-‘70s concept albums; this gem stands quite well on its own.

4 Comments:

Blogger matt prigge said...

"Sweet Lady Genevieve.” Yes, except that it's at least two spots too low. No diss on "Rock n Roll Fantasy" or (especially) "Hot Potatoes," of course.

8:19 PM  
Blogger frankenslade said...

Good choices, at least through the ones I know. "Hot Potatoes" and that "Sweet Lady Genevieve" one don't ring any bells. For me, after "Waterloo Sunset", you'd have to add "The Village Green Preservation Society" (the opening track) and, maybe, "Do You Remember Walter".

7:14 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hmm... Jim, perhaps I should provide you with the latter-day Kinks sampler I made for Matt...

8:37 PM  
Blogger frankenslade said...

I would accept that. Thanks. I've got Mistfits, Sleepwalker, and Low Budget, but I haven't dusted them off and given them a spin in ages. Just keep "Destroyer" and "Give the People What They Want" off it, all right? I used to get really bummed out whenever those songs came on the radio.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home