Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ten Best

Let's keep moving. Bob Dylan.

1. “Tangled Up in Blue”: I recently read an old Q Magazine blurb about this song. They got it all wrong! It’s not happening to one person! It’s not happening in linear time! It’s nothing to do with his frickin’ divorce!

2. “Like a Rolling Stone”: Man, that snare crack gets used now by every lazy PBS filmmaker (but not Marty S.) to convey The Sixties. Fortunately, I still love the rest of the song.

3. “It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Take a Train to Cry”: The drunk-piano ballad version first released is, of course, a keeper. But I would be remiss if I did not give props to the crazed rendition found on the Rolling Thunder installment of The Bootleg Series, after which you hear an audience member proclaim, “You guys broke that song!”

4. “Million-Dollar Bash”: Contains perhaps the funniest lyrics ever, which I shall not spoil for you here.

5. “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”: Manages to be both very cryptic and a brutal reality check. I think Bryan Ferry’s version is my favorite Dylan cover.

6. “You’re a Big Girl Now”: The title makes you think its going to be casually misogynistic like certain other Bob songs, but the way he sings “I can change, I swear” you know this is something entirely different.

7. “Visions of Johanna”: Did they even have late-night ballads before this song?

8. “Blind Willie McTell”: Was its inclusion in Masked and Anonymous tacit acknowledgement from Bob that he shouldn’t have left it off Infidels? Probably not.

9. “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere”: Is Greatest Hits Vol. 2 out of print? It had the best version of this: Dylan backed only by folkie Happy Traum and a special new lyric knockin' Roger McGuinn.

10. “Idiot Wind”: Clearly, I like Blood on the Tracks a lot.

1 Comments:

Blogger frankenslade said...

Nice choices! Many to choose from, no? My list would probably have 7 or 8 different choices, but that wouldn't be an objection to what you've chosen.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home