Thursday, September 01, 2005

Songs that I automatically associate with generic romantic comedy trailers

A little over a year ago, I noticed that every time I hear the opening to "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five, I was compelled to say something like "Touchstone Pictures proudly presents! A film about falling in love! After falling out of a moving vehicle!" Or something like that. The beginning of that song -- especially the piano glissando -- is forever entwined for me with not any particular romantic comedy trailer, just the very category. Another song rapidly assuming the same status is Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to lazy movie trailers to do what countless lazier samples and two decades of crazy Michael Jackson antics couldn't: finally infringe upon the undisputed awesomeness of the Jackson Five.

So taking this into account, of the J5 Big 3 - I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save - which would you now say has the best opening? I'm siding with The Love You Save, and am of the opinion that the part where they all do "P is for please, please don't go!" and then Jermaine goes "The love you save may be your own!" and then he and Michael trade lines is their greatest moment. That's right, I'm a Jermaine fan.

For Let My Love Open the Door, I actually associate that one way more with the movie trailer fatigue phenomenon. With no data to back it up, I believe that it's only used in the second half of trailers, after we've established our wacky romantic lead and his/her particular emotional dysfunction, and now have 25 more seconds to introduce the man/woman/robot who will teach them how to laugh about love again. (Thank you, Tommy Kirk!)

10:00 AM  
Blogger matt prigge said...

Basically, it's anything Motown or Bacharach. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is one of the big ones.

Also, and this only sort of a romantic comedy, but I will forever curse the trailer for American Pie 1 for ruining "Laid."

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home