Saturday, April 29, 2006

In New York City, there is now an installation piece based, in part, on one of my favorite scenes in literature, the long, long bathroom scene between Zooey and Bessie in Salinger's Franny and Zooey. Or at least it was one of my favorite scenes. I haven't read it in a while, and since Salinger often winds up as a passing fancy for adolescents of a certain disposition... perhaps a Seminal Novels of My Misspent Youth entry is warranted someday.

Read about the installation here.

Bonus trivia: For my screenwriting class in college, I wrote a 30-page adaptation of that scene. It was fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger frankenslade said...

My wife reads at least passages of Franny and Zooey every year on a certain day - her birthday, if memory serves. I know that passage. For the last 10 years, I seem to be re-reading the same 8 to 10 novels, with a previously unread novel or two making its way in my rotation each year. Currently, I'm working through my 5th reading of Pynchon's V.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

F & Z might be the only novel I've read more than twice. Right now, I'm deeply enjoying Rabbit is Rich; Updike at his best is really something.
I am having trouble finishing books lately if I don't enjoy them. Either my attention span is crapping out or my tastes are becoming more particular. The one upshot, though, is that I treasure even more the books that do reel me in.

12:14 PM  
Blogger frankenslade said...

I'm long overdue for reading any of those Updike novels! I just read an old interview with him in Terry Gross' collection of transcripts, and I was reminded of how much I think I might like his stuff.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home