Monday, August 07, 2006

Back in Business

Having pretty much completed yet another move within this fair city, I'm ready to restart activities such as this blog.

So -- in order to have something to moan about, and in anticipation of the upcoming Bob season -- have a look at the No Direction Home review currently found here.

What is this bunk? Scorsese's "best films feature jazz, Martinis, and characters belonging to or nostalgic for the pre-rock era"? Even if you put aside The Last Waltz -- how about "Be My Baby" in Mean Streets? Or, a less obvious but almost as great example, Mott the Hoople's "All the Way from Memphis" in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. I'd even make an argument for "Is That All There Is?" from After Hours, sung by the pre-rock Peggy Lee, but written by the definitely-rock Leiber and Stoller (and arranged by the rock-in-my-book Randy Newman).

Which songs-scenes do you think people remember from Good Fellas? I'm willing to wager it's the "Layla" scene, the music-montage accompanying the errand-running, coked-out Henry Hill and Sid Vicious' "My Way" at the end.

So, uh, there.

3 Comments:

Blogger frankenslade said...

Indeed, it's not a coincidence that Scorcese's earliest feature, I think, with Harvey Keitel was called Who's That Knocking at My Door. But you know, deep down, there's nothing us Eyetalians like better than Martinis and gravy. Bada-bing!

10:36 PM  
Blogger japanesegodjesusrobot said...

Boy do I agree with you Mike. I always think of "Mickey's Monkey" (Smokey Robison and the Miracles) being used in Mean Streets, "Chelsea Morning" being used in After Hours and "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" being used for Bringing Out the Dead. The last 2 are particularly underrated and quite good Scorcese films if you ask me, but in any event, I always associate pop/rock music being used in many of his films.

12:44 PM  
Blogger matt prigge said...

I think the author is referring to some imaginary Scorseez, perhaps the one made by his constant imitators. Besides, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in the hellishly lit bar in Mean Streets. Also, "Werewolves of London" in (the underrated) Color of Money. "His hair was perfect..."

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home