Monday, February 26, 2007


Best of: 2002

Then: Well, I finally got around to recognizing a Wilco album in its time. Sort of.

The previous year, I had put the unofficially leaked Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in at number two. And of course, Nonesuch officially released the album in 2002, which became their year to officially go through the hype-backlash wonderworld. Still, it felt nice to see the band officially leave the alt-country/Triple-A ghetto and, after all, YHF is still an album of incredible sonics, content and flow. But I got it wrong again.

Now: The Execution of All Things (Saddle Creek) by Rilo Kiley is not only my favorite album of 2002, it easily remains so far my favorite album of the decade. Just like Summerteeth, The Execution of All Things perfectly balanced the combination of sweet pop, fatalisms, production quirks and honest-to-goodness rocking out. Seriously.

Actually, the piece I wrote about the band the following year summed it up pretty well for me. It’s linked over on the sidebar to your right, but if you’re lazy, just go here.

And one more thing: for me, 2002 had more great albums than any other year of recent vintage: Neko Case’s Blacklisted; The Bigger LoversHoney in the Hive; Paul Westerberg’s Stereo/Mono; Neil Finn’s One All; Bryan Ferry’s Frantic; Sleater-Kinney’s One Beat; Queens of the Stone Age’s Songs for the Deaf. Probably a few others too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home