Tuesday, March 20, 2007



Best of: 2005 and 2006

2005: Truth be told, 2003 and 2004 were not, I felt, the most inspiring of years for music. But things changed in ’05 thanks to a little band from England called Art Brut. I hadn’t heard a record as funny, as dead-on, as Bang Bang Rock & Roll in a long while. Maybe I overdid it when I listened to it three times a day for a little while, but I couldn’t get enough of Eddie Argos’ delivery and his bandmates’ enthused garage bashing.



2006: I have a check-in-and-out relationship with Sonic Youth. I’ll positively love an album, and then somehow neglect to buy their next few. I don’t exactly remember why I decided to check in with Rather Ripped, but it was a wise decision. RR may be one of their most structured, song-oriented albums, but they make a glorious racket all the same, showing just what an amazing job they can do with parameters. The whole thing moves with an urban electricity that’s matured but enthralling all the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home